Tuesday, October 4, 2011

DC trip

Last Monday we returned home from a fabulous 10-day trip to visit Scott's sister Shannon and her family in Virginia/Washington DC. We had a wonderful time seeing the sites and spending time with family. Way good times. Just look:

Day 1: Flight to DC/Hannah's 1st plane ride

Hannah was an absolute dream. She sucked on her bottle of juice during take-off...

...and fell right to sleep.

Halfway through the flight, Hannah discovered her new talent of tongue-clicking. Super cute!

What a cute Cougar fan. Too bad there was nothing for her to cheer about later that night.

We had a layover in Chicago. I was surprised by how excited I was to be in Chicago again. I HAD to take advantage and get a Chicago dog. Yum!

Scott just loves this pic of him chowing a dog.

Hannah was thrilled to be in Chicago for the 1st time--can't you tell?

My dream come true--a beautiful baby with a baseball binkie.

Day 2: Quality time with the Gross fam

Big girl Hannah and baby Hannah--stinkin' adorable!

Katie and Jeremiah helped Shannon make a delicious dinner. Katie had just kicked all our trash in the game Ticket to Ride.

Silly Aubrey and Hannah Banana.

Baby Hannah was usually the center of all the action. And she mostly liked it. :)

A Sunday afternoon walk.

Day 3: Museum & Memorials

Hannah's first metro ride.

Scott really likes this pic of him in front of his parents' van in the American History Smithsonian. :)

Dorothy's ruby slippers are the only things I remembered about this museum from my 1st trip to DC when I was 9 years old. Totally awesome.

The Washington Monument had a fence around it--thanks to the recent earthquake.

This is as close as I got to the White House.

Vietnam War Memorial--the only pic I'm including of all 3 war memorials that we saw.

Gotta love the Lincoln Memorial.

Cutie Hannah was a perfect angel all week. She thoroughly enjoyed being out and about, seeing new people and places.

Day 4: Mt. Vernon

It was a little drizzly that day. The rest of our trip had perfect weather--cloud coverage and not too hot/not too cold. Loved it.

I totally remembered the back porch and lawn by the Potomac from when I was a kid. Beautiful.

Picnic in the parking lot.

Day 5: IwoJima, Arlington Cemetery, and Jefferson, FDR, and MLK Memorials

IwoJima was totally cool up-close.

Arlington Cemetery was interesting, and Scott loved all the walking we did. :)

The changing of the guard was cool.

So was JFK's grave.

Jefferson Memorial--don't Sam and Di look like Aubrey's cute parents?

Di at the FDR Memorial. I had forgotten he was such a social worker. :)

MLK Jr. Memorial--yup, that's Scott in the pic.

We enjoyed seeing the sites each day and then spending time with the kids in the late afternoon and evening. Girlie Di is giving the girls glitter-sticker pedicures. Cute!

And Shannon worked on trying to get this cute baby to crawl.

Day 6: Ford Theatre, the Capitol, & Eastern Market

The museum was cool, but it was a bummer to not be able to go inside the actual theater.

Have I ever menti0ned that Hannah LOVES to suck on straps of any kind?

The Capitol building--not sure why it's sideways. I stayed outside with Hannah and our food while the others took a tour.

What a cute sleeping baby! She took several naps in her stroller throughout the week--something she hasn't done in ages.

Eastern Market wasn't quite what we'd hoped.

Day 7: Temple & Nationals game

Scott, Hannah, & I made the drive out to the temple. Good thing the gorgeous temple was well worth the horrible drive in rain and traffic.

Hannah was very excited to be on her way to her first Major League baseball game. :) I'm trying not to be too sad that her first MLB game was not a Cubs game.

As you can see, Hannah really enjoyed the game.

I totally love this pic of Hannah and Jeremiah.

Go Nats!

It's a nice ballpark, but it's got nothing on Wrigley. :)

After the game, we hung out by the players' parking lot so that Jeremiah could get some autographs. I can't wait for Hannah to be this excited about baseball someday. For reals.

This time Hannah was a little more into sleeping than getting autographs. Thanks for holding her for so long, Di!

Day 8: Baptism & Birthday

We were so happy to be able to attend cutie Katie's baptism. She is such an amazing girl, and we love her tons!

It just happened to be her birthday too. What a fun day!

Katie was thrilled to end up with enough birthday money (added to her savings) to go buy an American Girl doll. The store was crazy/awesome.

Day 9: Fam & Good Friend

After church we enjoyed playing games and eating leftover birthday cake. Yum!

Then I went to see an old friend that I hadn't seen in 14 years. We were roommates my first 2 years at BYU, and it was wonderful to catch up.

Day 10: Shop, pack, & fly home

Thanks to this very worthwhile $50 purchase at the beginning of our trip, Scott was a MUCH happier camper throughout the entire trip. Just sayin'.

The flight home with Sam & Di. Gotta love Scott's face. Makes me laugh every time I see it. Thanks Di and Sam for all your help with Hannah! We miss playing games with you until 2am every night, delirious or not! :)

Hannah only fussed a little on the last flight when we wouldn't let her go to sleep too early (didn't want her waking up too early--didn't work). She was thrilled when we finally let her sleep. What a cutie pie!

What an amazing trip! Thanks to Shannon, Jason, & fam for making our stay so fun! We loved spending time with you and miss you already!

3 comments:

Barbara said...

Looks like a wonderful time--great pics. I to totally love the one of Jeremiah and Hannah at the game--what cuties!!

Elmer said...

DC is one of my favorite places to visit! It doesn't matter how many times I go, I never get tired of the museums, monuments, tours, etc. Glad you had fun!

Elmer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.