I've mentioned before that Hannah has torticollis--the tilting of her head to the left side (caused by tight muscles on the left side of her neck and weak muscles on the right side). Her pediatrician noticed it in the first month of her life (he said that it probably began when Hannah's head was pushed up into my ribs in utero), but we didn't do much about it at the time (other than try to turn her head to the other side while she was sleeping). Back then we had other, more pressing things to worry about--like making sure Hannah could breathe.
Well, at Hannah's 6-month checkup, we asked her pediatrician for a referral to take her to physical therapy (based on good advice from a friend who is a physical therapist).
So Hannah started physical therapy 5 weeks ago, and it's been a very busy 5 weeks. We only take her to physical therapy once a week (and now every 2 weeks), but there are many stretches and exercises that we have to do at home several times a day. And Hannah's not too fond of them. Nor is she easily tricked into doing what or looking where we want/need her to for each stretch/exercise. (Thankfully, it does help that she is fascinated with my watch and water bottles.) I seriously don't know how people have more than one kid. Between Hannah nursing every 2 hours (I'm pretty sure I produce skim milk), very sporadic naps, going on a daily walk, trying to feed her solids 3 times a day, giving her 4 medications and supplements which have to be spaced out a certain way (plus Tylenol for teething), continually turning Hannah back onto her tummy during her 4 needed Tummy Times a day, and doing all the other stretches and exercises several times a day for certain amounts of time/repetitions--I barely have time to eat meals and get the basics done around the house. Don't even get me started on the days that we actually have somewhere to go. Thankfully, during the evenings Scott is usually able to help Hannah finish what I couldn't get done during the day. I don't mean to sound whiney, but it is all quite stressful and exhausting. (Don't worry--I do squeeze in time to read to Hannah and to play with her and to smooch her yummy cheeks, not to mention the non-stop talking and singing that she has to put up with from me.) I know that the stretches and exercises are to help Hannah get stronger and to develop normally (torticollis can lead to some physical delays--it's the main reason Hannah isn't yet sitting alone for long periods of time), but I am really looking forward to the day when I can just sit and play with Hannah all day rather than force or trick her into doing annoying exercises that she really doesn't want to do (and even less so when she is teething).
Sometimes I actually feel guilty that Hannah has to go through one more medical annoyance. But the irony of it is that her original medical problems were probably the main cause for this problem. Due to Hannah's oxygen levels dipping every time she cried, Scott and I were paranoid and would never let her cry long--even though this meant she spent much less time on her stomach than she should have (tummy time helps tons with torticollis). Sometimes I really wish Scott and I weren't such big softies and had just made Hannah spend more time on her tummy so that she wouldn't have to do physical therapy now. But deep down I truly don't regret it--her breathing was much more important at the time. And I've also been able to accept the fact that Hannah may end up being a little behind in some of her physical development. But I'm confident that she'll catch up. It helps to know that she's not behind cognitively. Hannah is definitely one observant, smart baby!
Wow. This whole business of trying to figure out what is best for my child sure is complicated. Most of the time I just go by what feels right. And thankfully, I usually feel peace.
Your reward for making it to the end of this wordy post? A cute pic of Hannah:
1 year ago
6 comments:
I had no idea that she was going through that! If you need any help let me know!!
Some days are more overwhelming than others. Teamwork in parenting really does help. Glad you have that (actually since Scott is an Aubrey Lawrence descendant I wouldn't expect anything else!). That is an adorable picture of Hannah. I wouldn't mind being in Diana's spot.
I feel your pain. Hope I don't discourage you, but it does not get easier - you just have different things to deal with as your kids age. I guess motherhood is in great part getting your kids to do things that you know they need to do and are good for them but that the kids normally don't want to do. Hang in there!
Kurt had torticollis and had to wear a helmet as well as a hip brace while having physical therapy. I know exactly what you are talking about with all of the exercises and schedules and such. He is now 20 months old and is right on par for his physical development. Hopefully that can put some hope into your day!:) You are a terrific mom. Keep it up.
Wendy
Andrew had torticollis too. He was also not a fan of the exercises or tummy time but it certainly straightened him out ;P
Hannah sure is a cutie and she has a great mom. You're doing wonderful :)
Okay...I totally wonder how people manage more than one child and Isaac has not had the medical concerns that sweet Hannah has. I can only imagine what your days must be like! I am certain that you and Scott are both the exact parents Hannah needs you to be. Love you all! And I can't wait to see you!
Post a Comment