I wish I were posting that Scott and I were going to become parents in 9 months, but we don't know the results of the IUI yet. Unfortunately, 9 months actually refers to how long it's been since my car was stolen last June. It took me 2 months to find a great, new (to me) Mazda Protege. So 7 months to the day that I bought my fabulous new car, this last Friday I left my poor, totaled Protege at the repair shop. You see, I was in a little accident last Thursday (the day after the IUI--great timing). To make a semi-long story semi-short, I was on my way to run my group at the Children's Justice Center. And I pulled out in front of a mini-van that I didn't even see until it hit me (due to a car in the turning lane blocking both our views). Fortunately, no one was hurt. There were 2 kids in the van. I felt terrible. After waiting for the police to arrive, filling out a statement, receiving a citation for improper lookout (I did not have the right of way), and filing a claim with my insurance, I drove away and headed to my group an hour late. Let's just say it wasn't the best group I've ever run. I was a little shaken up.
Well, the next day I had high hopes that my car would be able to be fixed. Scott didn't think it looked that bad. He's been in lots of wrecks--he should know. I loaded my friend's little girl into my Protege with me to take it in for an estimate. The lady at the repair shop told me it looked really bad and that it was too dangerous to drive. Oops. I just put a child in danger. Super. I told her that I really hoped they could fix my car instead of calling it a total loss because I really didn't want to go through the pain of finding a new car again. She said they would try their best. But then while I was filling out paperwork with the rental car place, the head estimate guy came in and told me that it would be a total loss. I started crying, and the rental car lady consoled me. Nice. Then I went outside, and the bad news guy showed me where the roof of the car had buckled, as well as the floor. He said that it could all be fixed for $7000 or so (double what I paid for the car) but that I wouldn't want a car this badly damaged. Awesome. The damage:
I'm still waiting to hear back from my insurance to see how much money I have to work with. I'm hoping that I learned a thing or two from buying a car last time and that it won't take me nearly as long this time. We'll see. At least Scott and I now know from experience that we can survive with one car. I just can't wait to see how much our insurance goes up. We need every last penny to pay for fertility treatments, not traffic citations and high insurance rates.
The point of this story: I'm kind of a moron. I'm really trying not to beat myself up about it too much because it truly was an accident. But seriously, who pulls out in front of a car going 35 miles an hour and doesn't see it? I do. I'm pretty sure Heavenly Father is letting me have a trial that is completely my fault so that I can't blame him anymore. :)
The bright side? I'm not nearly as traumatized by this as I was by my car being stolen. My Civic was purposely assaulted. My Protege was just the victim of an accident. And it certainly helps that I was able to recover all of my personal items this time around. The bad news guy gave me a strange look when I took my dirty Mickey baseball off my antenna. It has sentimental value, okay?
1 year ago
7 comments:
So sorry about your car--accidents always shake you up. Glad you're okay, and still hoping . . .
Things HAVE to get better now, right?!
Way to get hopes up with the title of the post. But as I was clicking the link to read I was also saying to myself, "this better not be the way I find out Mary Ann is pregnant." So I guess I'm glad it was about something totally not baby related. HOWEVER, I'm sad about your accident and your car. Glad you and everyone in the other car are okay though.
Soo sorry about your car!! :*( It always seems that when trials hit, they pour. I am so sorry....I am still praying lots and lots for you, my friend...
Sheesh. Have you been praying for trials? You should just learn what you are supposed to from all these trials already so you can move on to greener pastures! :)
Sorry about your car - that stinks! Glad that you are okay.
Glad you are physically fine albeit a bit shaken. Since we know there is opposition in all things your good news must be coming. Hope the car search is smooth. I'd probably have taken my equivalent of the Mickey baseball too.
Post a Comment