Monday, November 30, 2009

Scott was right, I was wrong

There. I said it. And it isn't the first time. (And I'm not talking about In N Out.)
Let me back up by saying that about a month ago, Scott asked me if we had anything planned for November 14th. I said no, and he said to keep it open. He then told me that he had made an impulse buy and thought I might hate it. I started to imagine a few things he may have planned for my birthday gift, but I couldn't figure it out. Well, a few days before my birthday, I picked up the mail and saw an envelope addressed to Scott marked "artTix." Being the good wife I am, I didn't open it but took it inside and then pestered Scott to let me open it early. He gave in, and I tried not to feel too disappointed when I saw that he was going to take me to Bravo Broadway with the Utah Symphony at Abravanel Hall. He said (again) that he thought I wouldn't like it and that it could just be his Christmas gift from me. (He didn't explain until many days later that he originally bought the tickets thinking that it would be fun to hear one of the original actresses who played Elphaba in Wicked sing some of the songs from the play because Scott and I started having stronger feelings for each other on a trip to CA to see Wicked.) Anyway, at first I tried pretty hard not to feel or act disappointed. But as the evening wore on, I let my thoughts run wild about how sad it is for me that Scott can't think of things that I would really like to receive as gifts (I won't go into the history there). I think I'm a pretty easy person to shop for because I am always expressing my opinion about what I do and don't like or want. And I really don't care about the size or cost of a gift. I just like it to be thoughtful. Anyway, I moped all weekend, and then I decided that we needed to compromise. I don't want to have to tell Scott exactly what to get me, but I shouldn't just expect him to catch all my hints. So we decided that we will each make a wish list, and then we can choose from that list. This way, we will both get what we want and still have an element of surprise. I hope it works...
So how did I like Bravo Broadway, you ask? Well, that's the part I was wrong about. I really liked it. Scott initially thought I might like it, and I did. It was fun to hear different songs from different musicals by famous singers/actors and a great symphony. But it was more fun to get dressed up and spend the evening with Scott. I really love that I LOVE to just be with him.

Before the show, we ate dinner at a hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant in Salt Lake. Yum! Scott had never eaten there before, and I hadn't been in years.

Scott and me in front of the funky sculpture in the lobby of Abravanel Hall.
I love Scott! And for the record, he is very thoughtful.

3 comments:

glarcy said...

We used to always laugh at the presents my dad would give my mom. once, for their anniversary, he gave her this weird red ceramic thing that looked like a whale. Turns out it was a funky stylized rooster (for cox, of course). My mom still pretends to love it to this day.

Jason&Shannon said...

Yeah, we women are so hard to please. I seem to do the same thing. I remember as a kid my Aunt Lynda complaining about some jewelry her husband had bought her for Christmas because it showed how he didn't really know her as she doesn't like jewelry. As a kid I thought that was insensitive of her to be mad at his gift giving. Now, I often have similar thoughts. Oh, those poor men!

Lynda/Mom said...

Oh, my! I should keep my thoughts to myself since they live so long in others' memories. Actuallyl, I have learned to just appreciate any effort to be thoughtful, but then I'm past 65 and should have learned a few things by now. Glad it turned out well! Aunt Lynda