Monday, January 31, 2011

Tour de Hospitals

Just over 3 weeks ago, our sweet little Hannah gave us quite the scare. She stopped breathing a couple of times while nursing for just a few seconds each time. And then she stopped breathing again and turned blue around the mouth later that evening at Scott's parents' house. After a quick blessing, we took her into the emergency room at Orem Community Hospital. They took an x-ray and thought that she had pneumonia, so they transported us by ambulance to UVRMC Pediatrics. That was the beginning of our 8-day tour of 3 hospitals. Not the way I wanted to spend my daughter's 4th week of life, but we were happy that it all ended well. I really don't want to give many details. Just know that after running many, many tests, UVRMC diagnosed Hannah with severe laryngomalacia (floppy cartilage above the larynx that was completely blocking Hannah's airway). So they transported us by ambulance to Primary Children's Medical Center where Hannah eventually had surgery to fix the problem. Once again, we are incredibly grateful for modern medicine and for the miracle of prayer. We truly appreciate all your support and prayers through a very difficult time for all of us.

And now a few pics. Scott thinks they are depressing, but I think my baby is adorable no matter how many wires are attached to her.

Our first evening at UVRMC Peds. Hannah had not been nursing well and wasn't gaining enough weight, and we would soon find out why.

That first evening, I came back from gathering some things at home to find that Hannah had been put on a c-pap--just like her first few hours in the NICU. I cried the entire first day back in the hospital. Apparently it is even sadder to see your baby hooked up to machines once you both know the difference and have been able to bond at home for over 2 weeks.

Scott didn't have any more time off left at work, so he slept at home but came to UVRMC during his lunch breaks and every evening.

I don't know why this picture is sideways. We were happy when Hannah got taken off the c-pap and was put on this high-flow oxygen tube.

By the end of our 4-day stay at UVRMC, Hannah was on regular oxygen, was more alert than ever, and was nursing very well. It was absolutely amazing what being able to breathe did for her!

Hannah's first day at PCMC. We had a few bad experiences there with a couple of egotistical doctors, poor communication, and one very stupid nurse. But overall, we are glad we went there so that Hannah could get the surgery she needed from an exceptional doctor.

Poor baby got so tired of being poked and prodded.

Hannah sure loves her baths. I totally love the look of pure relaxation on her face.

I was able to spend all but one of the 8 nights with Hannah (I got a sleep room near the PICU the other night), and Scott stayed at a Ronald McDonald House once we got to PCMC.

This was taken shortly after Hannah's surgery. It totally cracked me up that her bow survived surgery. If a dainty bow can survive, of course my brave baby can too!

Could she get any cuter?!?!

Our wireless baby looking totally relaxed as we were waiting to be officially discharged from PCMC.

We are so grateful to have Hannah home with us once again. She is doing so much better than she was before going back into the hospital. Last week she gained 14 ounces, which is amazing! Thank you again for all your love and support! We have truly been strengthened by your prayers! We love you, and so does Hannah! :)

7 comments:

Robinson Family said...

I think it's good you've documented this to show her what a brave girl she is later in life. I'm so glad she is doing well and got the help she needed. She is a cutie, and once again, I can tell you feel pretty lucky to have her in your family! Thanks for the update.

Kathy said...

I am so sorry you had to go through that but am so glad it has helped her out. She is adorable and looks so happy.

Elmer said...

I'm glad she's home and doing so well!

Barbara said...

I'm so glad everyone's prayers were answered and that Hannah is finally thriving and growing and getting cuter every day. She looks wonderful.

MaryAnn said...

So glad Hannah is better. Not a fun thing to go through but at least it had a good ending! She is a cutie!

Lynda/Mom said...

You are all troopers, and a happy ending makes it a wonderful story. I'll be looking forward to meeting Hannah one of these days. Aunt Lynda

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

I am glad you posted pics too...documenting her medical journey doesn't always make the best pictures, but I do agree with Heidi in that it will help her to know how strong she is. Now where are pictures of her today...14 ounces has to have made her look different!