Now that our baby is almost 2 weeks old, I am finally getting around to posting some pictures of her. Hannah Mary Carter was born on December 18th at 5:14pm. She weighed 7 lbs. 6 oz. and was 19 or 20 inches long (measured 20 inches at birth but 19 inches in the NICU--go figure). I was scheduled for a c-section on December 21st, but Hannah had other plans. I wasn't sure I was in labor on Saturday, so I ran some errands and went to tithing settlement. Then my water broke just before 3pm in the middle of watching the BYU bowl game. We hurried and packed our hospital bag and arrived at the hospital almost an hour later. Hannah was born about an hour-and-a-half after that. She was taken directly into another room to have her nose and mouth suctioned out because there was meconium present, and my placenta had abrupted during delivery. Hannah seemed fine, so Scott brought her in to meet me about 20 minutes after she was born (I was bummed I didn't get to see her right away) and then took her down to the Nursery. Soon after, Hannah started turning purple and was rushed up to the NICU (they think she swallowed blood from the abrupted placenta). And that was the beginning of the 6 longest days of my life. The hardest days were the 2 that we didn't get to hold Hannah because she was hooked up to a ventilator. I don't have the time or energy to post all the details. Maybe I will do that later. Just know that we are very grateful for good doctors and nurses who helped our baby girl heal so that she could come home with us on Christmas Eve. We were especially blessed to have my sister who is a nurse in the NICU there to help comfort us, explain things to us, and take special care of sweet Hannah. We love Hannah so much and are so incredibly grateful for the blessing we have of being her parents!
And here are some pictures of adorable Hannah. We think she is absolutely beautiful and amazing!

During Hannah's first few hours in the NICU, she was just hooked up to a c-pap. I only got to hold her for about 15 minutes that night.

The next morning Hannah had been hooked up to a ventilator. I love how relaxed she looks even with that tube down her throat.

Almost everyone says that Hannah looks like me. I take it as a huge compliment. I agree that she has my square face, chubby cheeks, and little nose.

Scott and I got to help give Hannah her first sponge bath. It was really sad because we couldn't hear her cry due to the tube down her throat.

Hannah did not like the sponge bath.

But she sure looked cute sucking on her fist afterward.

I love this pic of her taken shortly after her bath. Crazy hair!

This is the first pic I took of Hannah off of the ventilator. Even though her face is red from all the tape, she sure looks better without all those tubes.

We absolutely loved holding Hannah for the first time in almost 2 days. I love that she is looking at me. I don't love that I look like death warmed over.

Hannah loves her daddy!

Hannah got jaundice, and I got a spinal headache--two frustrating complications that prolonged Hannah's stay in the NICU.

Scott enjoyed the food from the hospital cafeteria--especially this foot long corn dog. He didn't enjoy the chair/bed he slept on for 4 nights.

My room service meals were delicious.

I got discharged 2 days before Hannah did. We then spent one night at home and one night in a sleep room of the NICU. Gotta love all the wristbands.

I am so grateful for the love and support Scott has given to me and to Hannah. He is the best husband and daddy ever!

We spent Hannah's last night in the NICU trying to get her ready to come home. We gave her a bath, which she loved. Cute!

Hannah also passed the 90 minute testing in her car seat.

Scott and I were thrilled when Hannah's doctor told us she could go home on Christmas Eve. Too bad she didn't quite fit into this stocking my nephew Cole picked out for her.

Our cute little baby!

We were so happy to be leaving the NICU with Hannah.

Home Sweet Home

Hannah was the definitely the best gift under our tree.

Hannah's first time in her room.

Hannah's first nap in her bassinet. Super cute!
Thank you for all your support and prayers that helped bring Hannah home. We feel extremely blessed.
16 comments:
Oh my goodness! She is absolutely beautiful! Congratulations! Looks like Christmas was great for you!!!
Congrats you guys! She is way cute! Glad she got to come home in time for Christmas, what a perfect little gift :)
Sweet little girl! Congratulations! I had been wondering how things were going. Enjoy snuggling your little Hannah!
I love that you use the term "death warmed over". My family totally says that all the time! But I would say you look more like hot death than death warmed over:)
Wow, what a ride to get her here! So glad she is ok! Congratulations! What a special christmas present :) She is precious!
She is so cute!!! So sorry to hear that you got a spinal headache, my sister got one of those and said it was the worst thing ever.
I hope you are both feeling well and getting use to staying up all night. :) It isn't so bad when you have a super cute baby, and she sure is cute.
Mary Ann & Scott - Congrats on your BEAUTIFUL daughter. So excited for you guys to be parents. Parenthood is the best!
Cute as a button. I can hardly wait to see her. Aunt Lynda
Hannah is so beautiful! So happy she got to come home for Christmas! You guys have been in our prayers---sounds like you've experienced just about everything one can at birth! Glad things are good now!
My family says "death warmed over" all the time too. I just thought my mom made it up! Hannah is the cutest! When can I come hold her again?
Congratulations! She is beautiful and lucky to have you for a Mom. So glad she is doing better and was able to come home for Christmas!
She is a cutie and I am glad I was able to see her while I was in Utah. Too bad I couldn't hold her - dang cold! I guess I will just have to wait till next time for that!
Awwww. She is adorable. Sorry to hear about your NICU experience. I remember those days all too well--especially the part about not getting to hold them. Hope things are smooth sailing (at least health-wise) from here on out. It was fun to look at all the pictures, so I hope you keep posting more!
Hannah is adorable. It's been a rough road but it will get smoother.
wow suki, what an experience!! she is absolutely adorable!! wish i was closer, i would love to hold her .. i know there's no lack of that though ;) so happy that y'all got to have her home for christmas, no better gift than that! great photos, i especially LOVE the stocking photo .. thx for sharing! can't wait to see more ..
I haven't checked your blog (or anyone's for that matter) in a while, and am so glad I did! Congratulations! So happy to hear that things are better and your sweet (and TERRIBLY adorable) baby is home. Hope you're feeling well! Hang in there!
Post a Comment