Tuesday, December 14, 2010

First Gray Hair

Well, I found my first gray hair as I was getting ready for church on Sunday morning. It was a short, wiry, wavy thing sticking straight out of my cowlick. I was rather horrified, so I yelled for Scott to come see it. He never came. Apparently, gray hair isn't that big of a deal to him. He did later ask me if I was going to pull it out, and I told him no. I remembered an old wives tale that if you pluck a gray hair, 7 more grow back in its place. I'm pretty sure that's what the foreign exchange student from Spain told me in a very irritated manner after I rudely plucked a gray hair out of the back of his head while he sat in front of me in high school Spanish class. Yeah, I was a bit of a weirdy back then.

Anyway, I guess the timing is perfect. I feel like I'm still too young to go gray, but at least now I can blame it on being on mom, right?

Oh, and I couldn't find the gray hair again last night or this morning. But tonight as I was searching for it, I found another one in my part near my forehead. Let's just say I don't think I'll keep looking for that first gray hair. At least the gray seems to blend in pretty well with the little bit of blond hair that I have left. I sure hope my daughter doesn't mind her friends asking her why she lives with her grandma. :)

And while we're on the subject of age, I have to tell you about a conversation that I have had numerous times throughout my pregnancy. It usually occurs with an acquaintance or a ward member who doesn't know me very well. It starts with me saying something about how excited I am to become a mom and how I'm a pretty old first time mom. Then..
Other person: You're not that old. How old are you?
Me: 34
Other person: Oh (in a tone of shock and slight horror)
I usually find this amusing, but sometimes not so much when I really am feeling old. I know I should just be glad that I look younger than I am. Most people who guess my age say late-20's. But I guess that's all about to change with this awesome gray hair. Good, good times.

9 comments:

karen louise said...

Um....if it makes you feel better, I am 3/4 gray and have to color every single 2 months. Found my first 40+ gray hairs at age 18. And...we are the same age....

Ugh.

Can't wait to see you be a first time mommy! :)

Kathy said...

I started going gray at 17. During high I dyed my hair often, now that I am older I don't have the time or money. People think I am older than I really am.

Elmer said...

I wish I had known that old wives tell years ago...that must be the reason my gray hairs are multiplying so quickly! I'll stop pulling them out, but I won't stop dying them! Life has been so hectic lately that I'm way past do for a coloring...thank you for not commenting on the hideous gray streaks. :)

scott said...

I think it is not so much a tone of shock and horror but rather a tone of surprise. I think they are forced into not saying anything because they realize we actually are super old!

Lynda/Mom said...

OK, I hardly know where to start! Keep in mind that I got married at age 33, and the first of my children was born about a month before I turned 35. The gray hair doesn't make a bit of difference! Scott, you are not "super old." You are only as old as you act or think you are, and if you are now starting your family you need to think young quick!! I'm living evidence it can be done, so buck up, quit apologizing, and get on with it. You wouldn't do it any differently, so enjoy!! Love, Aunt Lynda

MaryAnn said...

I have tons of greys - of course I am 2 years older than you. I have had the same conversation with many people in my ward - I guess I too must look younger than I am!

Sandy Brunson said...

I have loads of greys. And I got started "old" too. But I think that is silly. We are still young at heart and our children will keep us on our toes.

Grammyzanne said...

The time will soon come that people will think you are younger than you are because you have young children.

As for the gray hair maybe you'll have my experience. I noted a few gray hairs maybe 15 years ago and decided to grow my hair long one last time - don't like long gray hair. Twas no hurry. Got tired of the length before it got gray. For several years now people have assumed I color my hair to hide the gray. The color is all mine and it doesn't come in a bottle.

glarcy said...

Crap, I'm on like my 37th gray hair by now. Does this mean I'm older than you even though I'm only 31?
But I hide my gray hairs by coloring them red.