Friday, June 19, 2009

Lovin' The Fresh Herbs

In the last several days my herb garden has really taken off. I have had tons of basil, parsley, rosemary, and chives. I have enjoyed using some recipes and also my imagination to use all these herbs. I have made a Rachel Ray recipe for pesto using parsley. I have always thought that basil was the only herb for pesto, but the parsley pesto turned out to be really good. On Tuesday night I made a pasta sauce using my fresh basil and rosemary. I have made tomato based pasta sauce many times at home, but never using fresh herbs. The pasta sauce was super yummy and the only difference from other times I have used it was the fresh herbs. Until now I haven't ever really been sold on the use of fresh herbs, but I am a true believer now! This spring as Mary Ann has already posted we planted a few things. I decided to plant some herbs because I have heard that they are really easy to grow. They are really easy and can be grown in planter boxes and the like. So I highly recommend growing your own herbs and enjoy the culinary benefits.

8 comments:

MaryAnn said...

Sounds yummy. I should get a planter box going on my patio. Or is it too hot in Las Vegas?

Sandy Brunson said...

Our basil is doing well but when you use your basil do you just pluck the leaves you want to use or what? I'm a little uncertain of how to harvest the basil...if you can call it harvesting.

Barbara said...

You're so right--fresh herbs are unbeatable!!

jared and mary 2 said...

Yeah, I'm with Sandy. I'm guessing you just mince the herbs and toss them in. Is that your method?

Dennis Carter said...

I planted cilantro in one of our outdoor pots this spring and it's going crazy! Also the long neglected chives have revived due to all the rain. Mom put cilantro in our salad last night. Herbs go pretty good in salad.

K-Krew said...

I've been wanting to have an herb garden.
Glad to hear they're easy to grow. Now maybe I'll try it.

Laura Stringham said...

I've got cilantro and parsley out of my ears, but something keeps eating my basil. I'm annoyed since I too love to cook with fresh herbs. It makes cooking so much more fun.

Lynda/Mom said...

I'm going to try a comment from this computer. I don't know much about fresh herbs except that they have a different flavor from the ones that have been sitting on the shelf for (in my case) 15 years. They smell great, too. Aunt Lynda