Friday, June 5, 2009

The End of an Era

Well, today was my last day at the job that I have had for just over 4 years. For those of you who may not know, I am starting my own private practice. I have been working as a mental health therapist (social worker) for a non-profit agency that mainly helps victims of abuse and trauma. It has been an incredible journey of growth and healing for both me and my clients.
As the end of my job was drawing nearer, I found myself reflecting on my experiences. I have been so blessed to have incredible co-workers and amazing clients. My co-workers have become some of my best friends and have supported me through some of the darkest times of my life. I'm really going to miss them. I'm also going to miss most of my clients, although I must admit that I am feeling relieved to have a break from their trauma. I have had the privilege of working with some of the bravest, strongest people in the world. You can't imagine the horrors some of my clients have suffered, but they have chosen to be survivors rather than victims and to rely on the Savior for ultimate healing. I have felt honored to be a small part of their healing journey. My life will never be the same.
So as I let go of the past with sadness, gratitude, and joy, I look forward to the future with hope and faith that can dissolve my fears. I really have no idea where this new path is going to lead me, but I feel peace and intend to find joy in the journey.

7 comments:

Sandy Brunson said...

Yeah for you! I'm sure you will be greatly missed by both clients and coworkers. I am excited for your future in private practice. Congratulations.

Aubs said...

Good for you Mary Ann! You'll do a wonderful job in your private practice. Good luck in your new adventure!

Barbara said...

Best of luck to you. I'm sure you're going to have a great new journey.

bullfrogranch said...

Annie, You are an amazing aunt and person. We love you and we know that you will do well in whatever comes your way.

K-Krew said...

It feels like forever since our internship days together. Is everyone from the old gang still at FSTC?
Congratulations and best wishes on the next chapter :)

Megan Campbell Carter said...

Good luck! I thought the title might be in regards to your car...we heard about that tonight. Can't believe it even made it to taylorsville...must have been some dumb people.

karen louise said...

Wow--that must have been the most bitter/sweet experience ever! I am confident you will do awesome in your private practice....do you have a plan for an office or where you'll do it at?