Wednesday, October 16, 2013

week of the funeral

Here are the pictures I took of Braydon's funeral/viewings and of that entire week we spent in St. George. Such a bittersweet week...


 I love this pic of my mom taking the time to help calm my colicky baby to sleep.

The night before the viewing, the Clayson grand kids did what they do best--they put on a show for all of us (fashion show this time). I think it was a fun distraction for everyone.

Hannah loved showing off her pretty dress.

We took the kids swimming the afternoon of the viewing.

Lounging boys.

Cute girls.

Silly Rylan.

Beautiful Mikayla.

We adults had plenty to chat about while we watched the kids.

Display of family photos at the viewing.
 
 Mikayla and my mom with Braydon's body.

Melissa, Rylan, and Braydon's best friend from his childhood standing by Braydon's restored bike.

Two of Braydon's tri-club friends who restored the bike joined the picture.

 And then Katelyn had to get in on the action with Rylan.

The boys had a sleepover that night.

 And so did these cute girls.

And Melissa slipped away into the piano room for a little alone time. I was so impressed by her poise and graciousness throughout the week.

Part of the display Braydon's friends made for his viewings.

More of the amazing display.

Braydon's bike, which is currently on display at a bike shop in St. George.

The funeral was both heart-breaking and heart-warming. I'm sure Braydon was there enjoying the program and also giggling at my two grumpy girls giving me and Scott a hard time. :)

Several emergency vehicles led the procession.

They were followed by about 150 cyclists.

 A Life Flight helicopter led the entire procession.

It was pretty amazing.

The church was packed, and then everyone came out to observe the procession.

 The love and support we all felt was overwhelming.

 Braydon's Life Flight buddies.

We all drove up to Spanish Fork after the funeral for a brief graveside service for Braydon. It was so surreal to see Melissa and her kids on the front row both there and at the funeral.

I still don't want to believe that Braydon's really gone.

There was an absolutely crazy downpour just as the service began, and so dozens of us huddled under this awning (while the rain seeped through). And dozens of others huddled under umbrellas.

The Clayson and Nielsen families went to dinner together after the service, and Maelie provided some entertainment.

We drove down to St. George with Melissa and her kids the next day so that we could be with them and spend Melissa's birthday with her. Here's cutie Katelyn on Melissa's birthday.

We celebrated Melissa's birthday by going out to lunch.

After lunch, we all went to a movie.

That evening Braydon's tri-club friends brought a potluck dinner to Melissa's house. They also brought this amazing cake that one of them made.

 It was a cool representation of Braydon and his family.

Melissa blew out candles on another cake. If only all birthday wishes could come true...

Hannah really enjoyed all the time she got to spend with her cousins.

Everyone was coping with the loss in their own way. Cute Kyler played a lot of video games.


 And Melissa played with her kids, which is just the kind of mom she has always been.

My mom helped Melissa make phone calls and write thank you notes, and my dad fixed stuff. And I successfully avoided being in any pictures.


It all still feels so unreal. We sure love and miss you, Braydon!

3 comments:

K-Krew said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your brother-in-law. My heart goes out to your sister and all your family. Sending love your way.

Elmer said...

I hope your sisters and the kids are doing ok. I think about them and you all a lot. What amazing support from the community for the funeral. I love the procession with the cyclists and helicopter!

Robinson Family said...

This post and the pictures you took will mean a lot to your family! It's hard reading it; and I can't imagine going through it. What an amazing family you come from, and thank goodness for the Plan of Salvation! I know it will continue to be hard, and our thoughts and prayers are with all of you!