Friday, August 31, 2012

Big Girl & Little Baby Boys

Hannah and I have begun a new adventure this week--taking care of Hannah's two little cousins separately for 1 day each week or two. It has been fun but exhausting. Watching both Hannah and a baby is somewhat like having a sick newborn again--in the way that I barely have time to use the bathroom and/or grab a bite to eat. But I'm pretty sure I'll adjust. I'll admit that I was a bit worried about what Hannah's reaction would be to having the babies around. She has sometimes become upset or clingy when I have held these babies in the past. But Hannah has absolutely loved having them around. She loves to watch them, show them toys, wipe their spitty mouths with a cloth, and try to comfort them when they cry. She hasn't seemed jealous at all when I hold them (although she is jealous that they get to use bottles). She just snuggles up next me and alternates between kissing me and kissing the babies, usually on their bellies or legs (don't worry, Di and Megan--I don't let her touch their faces). It is absolutely adorable. It makes Scott and me think that Hannah would do well with a sibling. I guess only time will tell if she will ever get that opportunity. Logan and Brinton seem to really like Hannah too and are often mesmerized by her antics. However, they have both startled when she suddenly grunts as she goes in for an intense kiss or hug. Silly Hannah. Oh, and for the record, Logan out-ate and out-fussed Brinton this week. A bit surprising. :)

Seeing Hannah with the babies has also made it even more apparent how grown up she is getting. It's so fun to see her walking around like a big girl, and I love that I can ask her to do something and she will understand me and do it. This week her language has exploded again. These past couple of months, I had been able to coach her into saying complete sentences, a couple of words at a time--"I want, _______, please." But this week she is suddenly saying complete sentences on her own--"I want that, Ma." "I want show, please." "I don't want to." "I go with Dad." It's sometimes surprising and always super adorable.

 Hannah playing with baby Logan.

Logan enjoyed watching a little Baby Einstein with Hannah.

Hannah sure thinks her baby cousins are funny. :)

I must admit that shortly after this pic was taken, Hannah accidentally bonked Brinton on the head with her baby doll as she was trying to get him to kiss the doll.

We are so in love with our big girl! And her little cousins are pretty dang cute too! :)

3 comments:

Jason&Shannon said...

I love your post about my niece and nephews. Sounds exhausting, but a good experience for Hannah and great for Logan and Brinton!!! Have fun with that, I am a bit jealous as I would love to be taking care of both or either. Oh well.

MaryAnn said...

What fun for you all - and a lot of work as well. I guess it will just get you into practice for when you have a baby again. I'm glad to hear Logan out-ate Brinton - maybe he is finally having a growth spurt!

Megan Campbell Carter said...

Yay! I'm so glad that is eating more, he has definitely been a pig the past few weeks. I'm hesitant to weigh him...but he's getting there. I'm glad he got to enjoy Baby Einstein...he does love music and sometimes watching the screen (thanks John) and we haven't purchased any of those yet. Sorry he was fussy...we just found out he's teething!