Sunday, July 15, 2012

Overdue updates

A few updates for you...

Hannah at 18 months:
Just over 2 weeks ago, Hannah had her 18-month well child check. She weighed 24 lbs 3 1/2 oz (69th percentile), was 33 inches long (82nd percentile), and her head measured 19 3/4 inches (99th percentile). So she is finally growing into her head. :) The doctor was very pleased with her development and confirmed that there is absolutely nothing wrong with her physically or cognitively. Hannah openly showed him her stubborn, independent side with a few emphatic "I do"s. Silly girl. :)

My miscarriage shtuff:
This past week I had my monthly blood work done, and my HCG levels are still less than 2. So no more abnormal cells have grown since my D&C (surgery) in March. Phew. My doctor has ordered that I have the blood work done for 2 more months, and then if things are still looking good in September he will give us the go-ahead to try to get pregnant again. Scott and I fluctuate in our level of desire to try again, but we really do want Hannah to have a sibling. So, we'll just keep you posted.

And now what you're actually wondering about--Hannah's progress on walking:
She's not. Well, not like many people seem to think she should be. Hannah can walk, but she just doesn't want to walk on her own yet. And I AM OK WITH THAT. A couple of weeks ago, I was feeling really angry about it all, and it took me a little while to figure out exactly what I was angry about. I wasn't angry at Hannah. Sure, she's super stubborn, but I totally love that about her. I wondered if I was angry at Heavenly Father, but I really wasn't. I mean, it's not like Hannah is actually unable to walk. I wondered if I was angry at all the trying-to-be-helpful people who have offered countless, unsolicited suggestions on what I could/should do to get Hannah to walk (not to mention the pitiful looks). I can't say that I haven't been annoyed at times, but I realize that the vast majority have truly just wanted to be helpful. So I couldn't be mad about that. I'll admit that I was a bit angry at Hannah's physical therapist for trying to trick her and forcing her to practice walking on her own while she cried through much of her therapy session a month ago. After that, Hannah became much more resistant to walking on her own, and 2 weeks ago Hannah wouldn't do a single thing for her physical therapist during a session. You go, Hannah! (I wasn't actually in that session because I was about to lose it, so Scott got to suffer through that without me.) It was shortly after that that I realized I was just plain mad at myself. Mad that I had listened to much of the negative and sometimes judgmental concern for Hannah. Mad that I had let others' comments get to me and make me second-guess my own feelings and impressions--I had been feeling for several months that Hannah just needed us all to back off and let her decide to walk on her own. And I did actually let up a lot, but then I would worry that I was doing something wrong and occasionally try others' non-helpful suggestions. And that's what I was so angry about. I had sometimes let others determine what was right or good for Hannah instead of trusting what I felt was right for her. And I was really angry that I most likely made Hannah feel like she wasn't doing something right instead of focusing on helping her feel loved and accepted no matter what. Anyway, Scott and I decided to tell Hannah's physical therapist that Hannah needed a break from it all this month. And Hannah has made some progress on her own. She'll occasionally walk a few steps on her own, and she'll stand alone for longer periods of time. And when she's done standing or walking, she's done. And we don't try trick her or make her do it. She will walk when she is ready to, and THAT IS OK. She is ok. She is perfect. And now we are all feeling much better about things.

I'll end with some random pics from July:

 Hannah enjoyed watching the horses on our wagon trip at the animal farm at Thanksgiving Point. I just love the shape of her head. :)

Hannah and me at the animal farm. She loved the animals unless they got too close.

Hannah and I got to watch her cute baby cousin one afternoon.

A rare moment when Hannah was speeding around with her walker. She had been trying on her swim hat and cute cover-up.

Dinner with friends at a delicious Mexican dive in Wendover...

...on our way to see the Sun Tunnels in northwestern Utah.

 I'm s super star.

I'm grateful that my amazing single friends still let me hang out with them. :)

The sunset was gorgeous and well-worth the long drive.

Hannah sporting her new Minnie Mouse swimsuit and swim hat.

 She LOVES splashing her daddy.

Scott with the lemon pudding cake I made (with a little of his help) a couple of days after his birthday.

Have a fabulous week! We're off to California and Disneyland with my fam tomorrow. Fun!

4 comments:

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

Have fun in Disneyland! Sometimes a mother's intuition goes much further than any book, or doctor, so way to realize that and do whaty you know is best for Hannah! We love and miss that silly girl.

Kristie Young said...

I totally understand. Wanting to be certain you do what is best for your child. Second guessing your own instinct in case someone else knows better. You are a good mom. Hannah is lucky to have you. It's a powerful realization to see that you knew all along what to do. Your post reminded me how much trust our Heavenly Father gives us in raising these children and how much innate ability. Hannah sure is cute!

Elmer said...

Gotta love that stubborn girl! Have fun at Disneyland...what happened to me taggin along?! haha

MaryAnn said...

It was good to see you all. Have a great time in Disney!