Monday, April 16, 2012

Two years ago today...

...Scott and I found out that we were finally expecting our first baby. We were shocked and thrilled, but we never could have guessed the immense joy that this little girl would bring into our lives.

Hannah LOVES to play with the sunglasses her aunt Christina gave her. Hopefully it will help her get over her fear of people wearing them. :)

**UPDATE on my miscarriage:
Yeah, I thought it was all over too. Many of you know that I had to have a D and C (surgery) 2 1/2 weeks ago when I ended up back in the er due to severe bleeding (after almost 3 weeks of light bleeding). Well, today I had my follow-up appointment with my ob/gyn. He said that the biopsy on the tissue he removed during the D and C showed that it was/is a partial molar pregnancy which developed into gestational trophoblastic disease. A molar pregnancy occurs when, due to chromosomal abnormalities during egg fertilization, abnormal tissue forms instead of (and/or alongside) the embryo(s). This only happens in 1 of 1000 pregnancies (and WebMD says that it is extremely rare in twins). Only 50 in 1000 partial molar pregnancies develop into trophoblastic disease--growth of abnormal tissue in the uterus during pregnancy. So I'm really quite the oddity. (You might want to look this all up on webmd.com or mayoclinic.com because I'm not sure I've explained it very well.) So now I get to have monthly blood HCG levels drawn for 3 months to make sure the tissue doesn't continue to grow (in very rare cases, it can lead to a very treatable cancer). And I also need to have an ultrasound in a couple of weeks to check out a fibroid that my doctor felt in my uterus during the D and C. Today he didn't make a big deal of the fibroid, but his nurse said, "No wonder you were bleeding so much with that huge fibroid in there!" Good times. She also said that she had never before seen anyone have such a rough experience with a miscarriage. I'm not sure I like being so special.

So now I'm just a bit frustrated that this whole ordeal is still not over. I really thought it was this time. And who knows what all of it will end up meaning for our chances to give Hannah a sibling. We have to wait a few more months before even thinking of trying again.

The good news? My anemia is super close to the low end of normal, so I get to stop taking that nasty iron supplement. And I'm way glad that I only have to get one blood test a month, as opposed to the weekly ones I had to do for about 6 weeks. This could all really be so much worse.

The best news of all? I have Hannah. Forever.

5 comments:

Robinson Family said...

Hooray for Hannah! Boo for all the misery you've been through! Thinking of you and hoping it ends soon. I've had to psyche myself up to get a doctor here and have a yearly exam that is way overdue. I'm sorry it's been so hard a frustrating!

Elmer said...

What a crappy thing to go through. Hopefully there will be good news soon. You guys are always in my thoughts and prayers!

Megan Campbell Carter said...

That really sucks. I can't believe how unlucky that is, we will keep praying for you because we really want hannah to have a sibling too and Logan to have another cousin. :)

glarcy said...

Oh goodness. I can't believe how special you are! :) I guess time will tell what all of this means. In the mean time, enjoy that Hannah. I know we all do.

MaryAnn said...

Yikes. Hopefully the worst is behind you and things will go much better from her on out!