I had been going through California withdrawals for awhile now (hadn't been in 2 years), so we decided to take one last kid-free road trip a couple weekends ago. Scott wasn't so sure about going to Southern California, but I really wanted to show him the place where I spent most of my childhood vacations--Ventura--and he really liked it.
The nostalgia:
As a kid, we always stopped at Barstow Station...

...and Charlie Brown Farms on Pearblossom Highway.

Pure nostalgia--the hazy view of the ocean from my grandma's back deck in Ventura.
The people:

We spent a night in St. George with these crazy kiddos on our way to CA. (Too bad I didn't get a pic of Scott's nieces in Vegas on the trip home.)

My favorite road trip buddy ever--Scottie!

This is a picture of my other fabulous grandma. She died 6 1/2 years ago, and my grandpa died 47 years ago.

This was the first time I have seen the finished headstone.

I got to visit with my uncle and meet my new aunt.
The beach & pier:

I love the beach in Ventura! As a kid I never noticed how cold the water is.

View of Ventura from the beach--hazy but beautiful!

Self-shot on the pier in Ventura.

Watching the surfers in Ventura--one of my grandma's favorite pastimes.

The beach & pier in Santa Barbara--just a beautiful 1/2 hour coastal drive north of Ventura.
The wildlife:
Scott enjoyed tormenting/feeding the seagulls fries on the beach in Ventura.

And we both enjoyed watching this hippie dude walk his pet goats on the beach.

The crazy seagulls in Santa Barbara--just moments after we were practically attacked by them while feeding them fries.

Totally chill pelican on the pier in Santa Barbara.

We saw dolphins in the water in Santa Barbara. Can you see them?
And of course, the food:
Snacks from Charlie Brown Farms--delicious root beer & yummy vegetable and okra chips.

In N Out in Ventura--my grandma loved it, and so do I!

Scott enjoying his first fish taco ever.

Delicious Andria's seafood--a must-eat in Ventura.

And an authentic Mexican dinner. Yum!
It was a wonderful trip (minus the long drive home) and super fun to get away!
7 comments:
What a great get-away! Looks like you managed to get a lot in in a short time.
Oh the memories! You really described them well. How fun!
Lucky you! What a fun trip to take as you end your "just us two" part of your relationship. Great pictures and nostalgic captions--I love it! Aunt Lynda
I totally support a trip for nostalgia's sake. I especially like the picture of Scott behind the cut out next to a headless woman. Apparently you had to take the picture:)
wow... that beach looks so sunny and warm! It made me jealous.
Gotta love a good road trip!
Fun! I'm guessing John would love the food in all these pics. Me..I also laugh at the guy walking his goats.
Post a Comment