Saturday, September 26, 2009

Whoo! Whoo!

Who in this great land of America has never been to a baseball game? Well, we found out a few weeks ago that Scott's cousin Jacob (22 years old) had never EVER seen a baseball game. So we took him to his first game a couple of weeks ago--an Owlz game. It was strange but fun to teach him the rules of baseball. And Jacob was a great sport and sat through all 9 innings with us. He even said that it was fun, although he admitted that the company was the best part. What can I say? Scott and I are pretty darn fun. :)

Scott and Jacob enjoying the game.

While I'm on the subject of baseball, I just have to say how much I love Owlz games. I was curious and just counted in my planner that I have been to 17 Owlz games this summer, and their season didn't start until the end of June and ended last week. For those of you who don't know, the Owlz are the rookie league affiliate of the Anaheim Angels (that's lower than single A). They play at UVU, and they have some pretty good concessions (minus the raw polish sausages we once started eating). We especially love how close to home they are. They are super cheap games, and let's just say that Scott and I are creative and haven't had to pay for parking all season. We also didn't have to pay for several of the games because we sometimes went really late after I got home from running my evening groups. The ticket office usually closes at 8:30pm, so we would get in free to see the 2nd half of the game. One time we got there at like 8:45pm, and the ticket office still wasn't closed. We waited around for nearly 15 minutes for it to finally close, and we were just a little embarrassed when Scott's cousin and his family walked past and wondered why were weren't inside. Well, uh, it's because we're too cheap to pay $4 each for one hour of baseball. It's our little way of budgeting.
Here are some pictures of our Owlz fun this summer:

Nothing beats baseball with mountains in the background--except maybe baseball with Chicago in the background.

This water bottle saved us quite a bit of money on pop and water.

Three of my adorable nieces (and sister Melissa) at an Owlz game. I LOVE when Faith calls the Owlz mascots "ball-headed chickens!"

Four of my handsome, silly nephews at the same game (with Scott and my brother-in-law Braydon in the background--I guess they're handsome too).

Scott's sister Diana and her husband Sam attended several games with us this season.

And the icing on the cake? Last week we were at the last game of the season, and my RS president texted me to say that they were sitting behind Luis Gonzalez. He played for the Cubs back in 1995-96 and more recently for the Diamondbacks and Marlins. He was very nice and let me get a picture with him. I might have been a little nervous, and he noticed. He said, "You're shaking. You don't have to be nervous. I'm a normal guy." Kind of embarrassing, but what do you expect? HE PLAYED FOR THE CUBS, and he's not bad-looking.
Go Owlz!!

10 comments:

Sandy Brunson said...

That makes me a little sad I'm not in Utah. The picture of the field with the mountains in the background is awesome. I bet you didn't have any "rock pile" hecklers though!

And I can't believe Jacob had never been to a game. But...he did grow up in podunk wyoming afterall.

MaryAnn said...

Um... I have never been to a baseball game - oh wait! I just remembered one time in the singles ward here in Las Vegas when we went to a 51's game! That was a close call.

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

It would've been nice to have Scott and you helping Jason and I understand the rules/number of innings, etc at our first baseball game. Maybe an embarrassing moment would've been avoided. Sounds like fun. Maybe we'll be around next summer to go with.

Dennis Carter said...

He's just a baseball guy. Not a rock star or something!

Elmer said...

When I worked for Provo back in the day I worked on the project that brought baseball to Utah County...so you're welcome. ;)

glarcy said...

woah...since when does mary ann get nervous?!

Stacey said...

Looks like fun!! Although I have to admit I don't like baseball. I'm glad you finally commented on my blog so that I can stalk you now!!

The Duvall Family said...

I have never been to a baseball game and probably never will:)

Melanie said...

AWESOME!! The Diamondbacks were dumb to trade Gonzalez. So fun!

karen louise said...

Soo soo awesome!!! And I never went to ONE single game this season!! Sheesh! Next summer, fo sho!!