Three weeks ago, I read the book "Toilet Training in Less Than a Day." I had heard a lot of good things about this super old technique that my mom actually used with me and my sisters. Well, I decided it was worth a shot, and the first week in April was the perfect week to try it because we didn't have much going on (I didn't even have to work).
So I started with Hannah right after breakfast on Monday morning. I followed the technique exactly for 2 1/2 hours. (Except for the part that says to to call accidents "bad"--the therapist in me just can't call a child or her mistakes bad. Oh, and I didn't make her run around in her wet underwear.) Anyway, the first hour went great. Hannah absolutely loved the treats, juice, and constant mommy attention. The 2nd hour, she grew tired of all the potty talk and potty practice. Hannah kept trying to get me to sing songs with her and to read books to her (2 of our most common activities), and she seemed perplexed and annoyed when I would redirect everything to be about the potty (per the technique). The last half-hour, Hannah started to grow desperate for her old, potty-free life and actually started crying because she just wanted me to read her a book. I, of course, caved at that point and read to Hannah. And I also might have cried a little. But right after we finished the book, Hannah pooped and peed in her potty. And right then I remembered that my daughter never does anything on anyone else's or any book's timeline. She does all things her own way in her own time. So I immediately modified the technique to be Hannah-friendly. Books and singing and and flexibility are a must in Hannah's life. And we were both much happier that way.
On Monday Hannah had 2 1/2 accidents (she was able to stop the one I count as half as soon as she realized what was happening). But then Hannah went for 3 1/2 days with ZERO accidents! I did put her in a pull-up for naps and an outing to the library (and of course bedtime), but she often kept her pull-up dry. I was amazed at how long she was able to hold her bladder--one time going more than 5 hours!
Aside from the fact that Hannah never reached the point of just going to the potty on her own (I told her to go every hour or so), I was feeling really good that Hannah was getting the hang of using the potty. But then the weekend came, and Hannah totally regressed. I think this was mainly due to the fact that Scott got more involved, and he didn't do things exactly like me. Hannah seemed to suddenly forget that she could pee in the potty, although she continued to poop in the potty (something she was also much better at during our first potty-training stint).
I started off the next week determined to get Hannah back on the potty train, but she was having none of it. And I was feeling frustrated at that point because I knew Hannah could do much better. It wasn't much fun for me or for Hannah. And on Wednesday I decided that I didn't like the tension it was causing. It just wasn't worth wasting time cleaning up pee and then ending with both me and Hannah feeling frustrated. Definitely not that way I want to spend the last couple of months I have alone with Hannah. I want to completely enjoy our time alone together. So we happily jumped off the potty train together.
I'm positive that Hannah will just start using the potty on her own when she wants to--just like she has done most things in her life. Her pediatrician seems to think she is a bit of a perfectionist and waits to do things until she can do them perfectly. I really hope she hasn't inherited her mommy's perfectionism, but that's a post for another day. In the meantime, Hannah and I are enjoying our potty-free alone time together.
Overall, I don't think it was a waste of time to try this potty technique. It was worth trying something new. And I liked how it focused on helping Hannah be more independent in all the potty tasks and how it focused on praising and rewarding for staying dry. I'm sure these things will help when Hannah is ready to go for it.
Now for some pics of our non-potty-training activities...
Hannah enjoying some good weather out on the balcony with Faith.
It was fun watching Cole & Clay play baseball.
What a cutie! Too bad it didn't stay warm for long.
Hannah loved attending a BYU baseball game with her aunt Jana.
Go Cougs!
Would you believe that I ran a 5k on Saturday? Yeah, me neither. I walked the easy 2k portion. It was fun and was for a good cause. Hannah didn't join the cause because she just can't seem to kick her cold. And Scott didn't mind staying home with her. :)
Oh how I love my stubborn little 2-year-old!
8 comments:
I tried adapting that same potty training technique with Isaac. I was okay telling him peeing on the floor was something I didn't like and that I liked dry pants. I don't think I ever used "bad" either. But I might of. Because, like you, things started off great...he would even go potty without being prompted...but a few weeks later it was a battle and ended in tears. So we went back to diapers too. Not worth the stress and sadness. He actually hugged his diaper when I gave him the option of diapers or underwear.
You guys are funny. I totally agree with Shannon that you should just wait until your kids are 3. I started with Emily last week - had her in underwear for only 1/2 the day for a couple of days, put her back in diapers for a couple of days becasue she got sick and then have had her in underwear (when we are home) for 3-4 days and we basically are done. Wait till you kids are 3.
When I say done, I mean done with having accidents.
I have the very definition of a perfectionist (and a master of passive aggression). When that child decided it was time for underwear and not diapers it happened - but not before. I think basically we trained when the child (not mom) was ready.
Training always is better on the child's terms and not ours, as parents. 3 is better, wait for 3.
What the heck is John looking at in that picture? lol. I'm glad Logan gets to be trained by John and not me in the future. lol
Hey! I did run a 5k that day. I just want ya'll to know that.
Potty training is hard. I think flexibility is the key & using a timer to remind toddlers was helpful too.
You can do this & it will happen eventually.
Post a Comment