It turns out a headlamp is not only great for camping, but it works wonders for planting in the dark.
Our whiskey herbs--basil, oregano, chives, parsley, rosemary, and thyme. Nope, no sage.
Three of our four planter boxes and our hanging plant. We are selfish and hang them on our side of the balcony.
The red Verbena plants grow very well, but the daisies are pretty fickle. The first picture is our best plant, and the second picture shows a plant similar to the other two. Um, so are we supposed to cut off the dead flower heads? We're a bit clueless.
Yes, we are trying Topsy Turvy tomato planters--as seen on TV. Our first attempt failed miserably, but here is a picture of our second attempt. They have already grown much bigger and are turning upward toward the sun.
My consolation Mother's Day gift that I picked out. I love it!
When we first got married, Scott hated almost all of the home decorations that I wanted to buy. So I didn't buy many new things. This frog is something I couldn't seem to live without, so I bought it without Scott around. It really needs a flower, eh?Well, we have really been enjoying spending time on our balcony. Here's hoping we can keep the flowers alive, and more importantly the yummy herbs and tomatoes!
12 comments:
I have visions of my mom pulling the dead heads off of flowers...so I would say yes to snapping them off. Think: "momma had a baby and it's head popped off..." unless I was the only freak-o who grew up on sayings like that.
The balcony looks lovely. Can't wait to see it in person!
Looks like a wonderful begining to a luxuriant horticultural adventure. I'm sure you'll enjoy the fruits of your labor. Why no sage?
For anything you want to keep blooming remove the "past-their-prime" blossoms. When a plant starts forming seeds it slows/stops its flower production. Towards the end of the growing season is a good time to stop dead-heading so seeds can form and hopefully provide you plants for the nest year.
Thanks for the tips Aunt Suzanne! As to the no sage my mom has a huge plant that I think can supply us with enough sage. I wanted herbs that I didn't have access to elsewhere. These pictures show that maybe are plants are doing better than I thought. The tomatoes are much bigger, as well as most of the herbs. My thyme however continues to struggle, anyone know why?
Good luck with your planting. Having no knowledge of love of gardening myself, I can offer no advice.
AH...John and I have had many conversations about our patio furniture and we just can't decide on something...but I really like yours! Where did it come from?
I wish we had a balcony so bad! You guys have done a great job!
LOVE your balcony garden.
And MaryAnn, I agree--gardening without weeds is so much better. I grow our tomatoes in a couple of boxes (raised beds) and rarely if ever pull a weed.
PS I like the frog!
Looking good on the garden on the balcony. How do you water it? Do you have a cute watering can. We used to until the kids and dog were done with it. We are trying to grow tomatoes too. Hooray for fresh tomatoes in the summer.
Dang awesome! I wish I could plant and see stuff grow! Yes..you are supposed to pull off dead flowers...they'll grow right back, and even more healthy. I used to work for a flower pressing company, and we did it everyday. You are awesome! Way to go!
I like the frog. Definately needs a flower. Your patio furniture is nice too. I can't wait to see you guys soon. Glad I found your blog.
It was fun to visit with you guys. I love your gardening. I am surprised at how much I enjoy it too despite despising weeding growing up. Amazing the things we grow to like as we age.
Post a Comment