It is bittersweet to be ending my 4-year relationship with Gold's Gym. It has really been there for me during some tough times. My sister Jana and I joined just over 4 years ago on my 3rd wedding anniversary with my ex-husband (we were separated at the time). It was the beginning of me truly caring for myself and my health. And it was a great outlet for my anger and pain.
So, I was a dedicated gym-goer that first year, and I lost 35 pounds to show for it. I fluctuated slightly the 2nd year because life got busier. Then 2 years ago, my sister dropped her membership, and I convinced Scott to join my account (it was in exchange for me getting football tickets with him). We went fairly regularly while we dated and were engaged--after all, I was trying to look good for my wedding. But then we slacked off a bit after we got married. Due to that and also Scott's amazing cooking, I gained the "first-year 15" during our first year of marriage. I've re-dedicated myself to the gym these past few months (since I quite my full-time job), and I have been able to shed most of the extra pounds. Unfortunately, Scott hasn't had the same benefit because I now go in the mornings when he heads off to work. Trust me, Scott's not too heartbroken about it.
Anyway, the end of Gold's had to happen in the name of trying to be frugal or to pretend that we have a budget. Plus, it didn't make sense anymore (or ever really) to pay $50 a month when Scott gets a family Rec Center pass through his work for just $20 a year. No brainer, really. Unfortunately, I have become a bit of a gym snob and have resisted the change. It's not really about the facility itself--I just can't stand the smell of the air freshener they use. It's the same one they use in WalMart bathrooms, and I first became familiar with it when I worked for a summer at an inpatient facility for severely mentally ill adults (not my favorite memory to have triggered).
Scott and I finally went to the Rec Center on Tuesday night to get our little keychain passes. I did NOT love their ellipticals, but I guess I'll have to adjust. Scott LOVED that they close at 10pm--no more late nights at the gym. Last night I dragged Scott to Gold's Gym with me to use their pool and hot tub for the first time. I just couldn't stand the thought of having a membership there for 4 years and never using them. I know, I'm a weirdy. I liked the pool and the hot tub, and I LOVED the steam room (I never realized they had one or I would have gone much earlier). But I didn't like all the strange men lurking around (glad Scott was there). Plus, one of the guys yelled at me for turning on the light in the steam room (I couldn't see where to sit, for crying out loud), and one guy was making creepy groaning noises in the corner of the steam room.
This morning was my last visit ever to Gold's Gym. I will miss having my own TV while I work out. I will miss the cute little old ladies (although I'm sure there will be many at the Rec Center). And I will miss the proximity to Macey's. I won't miss the cocky men. I won't miss the anorexic women. And I definitely won't miss the cost.
Thank you, Gold's Gym for four years of supporting my quest for better physical and mental health. Good bye to Gold's, and hello to the Rec Center!
**Sorry no pics--Scott would not allow me to take a camera along last night/I forgot.
1 year ago
6 comments:
I made the same switch but I'm one more step down the line. I went from Golds to the Rec. and now I have my own treadmil at my house. With a kid gym time is tricky.
One thing I liked about the Rec. over Golds is that if you go in the morning there are tons of people there reading the Ensign. It always made me smile.
I was also a little sad to say goodbye to Golds. It was where I really got serious about exercising and getting fit. And now my gym membership here is expiring...in a week. I'm not renewing it. It may be a mistake but I can't justify the money. I'm going to have to motivate myself to exercise outside or see if I can use my friends tredmill in her basement occasionally.
Dang! I love Gold's!!! But I agree..the cost does kill ya..especially since I just signed up with a trainer for 6 months which I never should have done! Now THAT is pricey!
Way to be more frugal, though there are always sacrifices to make in the name of frugality, it will pay off in the end! Right?
I'm glad you can admit you're a gym snob and now go to the Rec. It's not too bad and now maybe scott and john can do something there together.
Have fun at the Rec!
Post a Comment